Welcome!

This is a real adventure for me, having the chance to spend an entire year on sabbatical. I know that many of you would like to come along for the journey, so I decided to launch my own blog site. I am new at this, so I ask your patience. Hopefully together we can enjoy this year of new discovery and adventure, of reflection and contemplation, in the spirit of St. Ignatius, the pilgrim. Just Scroll down to view my blog.


Peace,
Skipp



































Thursday, August 12, 2010

Archway to the West

I headed off to Midtown St. Louis to visit the Archway to the West (St Louis Gateway Arch) . It was a short ride from the Retreat Center. It is right on the banks of the Mississippi River where there is a lot of boat and barge traffic.  Since it is the first National Park area that I visited, I decided to pick up my Senior Pass which is good for life at all of the National Parks in the U.S. It was really hot, so I was pleased when I saw that all of the exhibits and films are underground and air-conditioned. I decided to see the I-Max film of the Lewis and Clarke Expedition tracing a path to the sea from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean. It was really interesting and very moving.







There are lots of exhibits and displays throughout the underground area. I took some photos, but my flash does not seem to be strong enough to get good indoor pictures. Anyway, here are some of the shots I thought were worth sharing:







After that I decided to try a lunch spot that my brother Mike had recommended: Pappy’s Smokehouse (Pappy's Smokehouse) . It was fabulous. The food was good and generous, lots of parking, and quick service. If you ever get to St. Louis, you need to stop here.


While I was in the restaurant we had a tremendous thunderstorm with about 60 mile an hour winds, hail, etc. The temperature dropped about 20 degrees, but it is still very muggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment