Welcome!

This is a real adventure for me, having the chance to spend an entire year on sabbatical. I know that many of you would like to come along for the journey, so I decided to launch my own blog site. I am new at this, so I ask your patience. Hopefully together we can enjoy this year of new discovery and adventure, of reflection and contemplation, in the spirit of St. Ignatius, the pilgrim. Just Scroll down to view my blog.


Peace,
Skipp



































Monday, July 5, 2010

Boston celebrates the Fourth - Boston.com

Boston celebrates the Fourth - Boston.com

I don't usually do things at the last minute, but last night was an exception to the rule. Around 8:30 pm. I decided to jump into the car to try to test some new knowledge that I gained on the Duck Tour. I was pretty sure I could get over to East Cambridge and scoot across the bridge near the Science Museum (where the duck boats enter by the Charlesgate locks) and find some place to park so that I could then walk back across the bridge to watch the Fireworks and mingle with the crowds. What a hoot, it worked!

Despite hitting a little congestion in East Cambridge, I managed to drive right through to Bunker Hill Community College. Their parking lot is conveniently located on the other side of the bridge and dumps out onto a thoroughfare that then leads to 93 and on to the Mass Pike (which made for a quick getaway once the fireworks were finished). I grabbed my Country Oil folding chair and headed into the night crowds filled with great anticipation. For the next two hours I had a most enjoyable time mingling with a great mix of hispanic, brazilian, chinese, korean, russian (none of whom were spies on this night!) and good old american families. People had radios playing the Pops concert and children had their glow sticks and other treats. There was a nice light breeze near the waters of the Charles, which made the evening very comfortable.

It was very interesting to be in such a mix of people, just listening, watching and observing. Conversations overheard, snippets of lives passing by, gave me a tremendous sense of being one with an enormously diverse country. Oohs and Aughs rose and fell. It was so delightful when the whole crowd would clap for a particularly beautiful set of fireworks. On leaving after nearly a half hour of wonderful fireworks, one little boy next to me summed it up best: "Boy, this had been the best day of my whole life! Thank you God!" I think he must have been all of 5 years old.

The ride home to Chestnut Hill was quick and easy. I was in my bed at 11:20 pm! I hope I can take more of these last minute adventures during my sabbatical year.

No comments:

Post a Comment